nfs4 locks: What happens when a lease can't get renewed?

Hi,

I wonder what happens if a lock on nfs4 has been acquired by an application (for
instance, using fcntl(fd, F_SETLK, F_WRLCK)) and the lock can't be RENEWed, for
instance due to a network outage preventing communication between the client and
the server.

I would have thought that some notification mechanism was useful, for instance
my means of delivery of a signal as set using F_SETOWN / F_SETSIG for leases.

I would highly appreciate helpful pointers should this question have already
been discussed of if there exists any other helpful documentation on it.

Thank you,

Nils