Returning error to app on TCP disconnect

Hi all

I am working on a setup where when a nfsv3 server goes down, the dd that is running on the NFS mount point, gets an error on any syscall performed on that mount point, say a write () to a file on that mount.

I've tried setting the timeo and retrans options at mount but that does not seem to work in this case. The how-to on linux-nfs site confirms that the nfs client just waits for the server to come back up after retrans number of requests.

Is there a way to have the app receive an EIO or any other error on TCP disconnect?

Thanks
-Shehjar