IPv6 and NFS4

If I have an NFS4 server successfully sharing a directory with a client and
both machines have valid IPv4 and IPv6 addresses should it be possible to
mount the directory using either IPv4 or IPv6?

Both machines are running 2.6.34-rc6 kernels, nfs-utils-1.2.2,
libtirpc-0.2.0 and rpcbind-0.2.0. Mounting over IPv4 works perfectly, but
IPv6 just times out while trying to mount the share. Using tcpdump I see
that the two machines exchange 40 packets before the client finally gives
up. There are no messages generated in the system log or dmesg of either
machine.