Re: nfs: server not responding, timed out

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 18:10:38 -0400, Dennis Nezic wrote:

> > >   I do not know the what's the reason. And I am not sure the
> > > followed discussion can fix this problem, but maybe it can help
> > > you. http://marc.info/?l=linux-nfs&m=123478426412524&w=2
> >
> > Both the patches mentioned in that thread already seem to have been
> > applied to my kernels. So, although the problem seems related, it
> > wasn't that bug in particular. The person in that thread was talking
> > about mounts dying after 5-15minutes, which doesn't happen with me
> > -- my problem only seems to occur under intense activity.
>
> Hrm. I just noticed that my scp transfers are stalling -- which also
> didn't used to happen before with my old kernel. No error messages.
> Ftp transfers work fine. Eek. :S. (Despite the freezing/stalling, my
> *actual* network connection works perfectly.)
>
> Ideas?

It seems that changing the mount options from "soft" to "hard" seems to
"work" -- at least the transfers eventually finish! Although there are
still stalls of 6-8minutes ... between the 16 syslog error messages:
"nfs: server XYZ not responding, still trying" and the 16 subsequent
error messages: "nfs: server XYZ OK". The key difference being that
with "hard", it is "still trying" rather than "timed out".

Now why is it stalling for so long?