Re: [RFC] SUNRPC connect timeout case network request delay

On Fri, 2010-03-12 at 17:55 +0800, Mi Jinlong wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   Thanks for your reply.
>
> Chuck Lever 写道:
> > On 03/08/2010 04:59 AM, Mi Jinlong wrote:
> >> Hi chuck,
> >>
> >>   Thanks for your reply.
> >>
> >> Chuck Lever 写道:

> >>   After running this command, I got some important messages that I think.
> >>
> >>   RPC:       xs_connect delayed xprt  for 3 seconds
> >>   RPC:       xs_connect delayed xprt  for 6 seconds
> >>   RPC:       xs_connect delayed xprt  for 12 seconds
> >>   RPC:       xs_connect delayed xprt  for 24 seconds
> >>   RPC:       xs_connect delayed xprt  for 300 seconds
> >>
> >> This message is printed at xs_connect, and the delay time is double
> >> there.
> >> IMO, when some data translate over through a socket, the socket should
> >> be released.
> >> But, it seems the socket isn't released through those messages above.
> >> Is it wrong, or there are some other reasons ?
> >
> > The code is trying to connect, but the ->connect call isn't working
> > somehow.  The code backs off by doubling the timeout each time, so that
> > the connect attempts don't overload the server.
> >
> > This tells us that the code is attempting to connect, but not why the
> > connect attempt is failing.
>
>   When reading the kernel codes, I find a problem at function xs_tcp_close.
>     772 static void xs_tcp_close(struct rpc_xprt *xprt)
>     773 {
>     774         if (test_and_clear_bit(XPRT_CONNECTION_CLOSE, &xprt->state))
>     775                 xs_close(xprt);
>     776         else
>     777                 xs_tcp_shutdown(xprt);
>     778 }
>   If a task call xs_tcp_close to close the xprt's sock, many times it only call
>   xs_tcp_shutdown to using the next layer's close function to close the socket
>   connection.
>   But after close the socket connection, the socket also exist, so the socket may
>   be reused. Is it a problem ? I think after xs_tcp_shutdown, the socket should
>   be released.

No it shouldn't. The whole point of the current code is to allow the RPC
client to _reuse_ the same port without having to wait for a TIME_WAIT.

The reason why we want to do that is because a lot of servers key their
duplicate reply caches on the port number. See
    http://www.connectathon.org/talks96/werme1.html

Trond