[NFS] Very Slow Sequential Reads over NFS from an XFS disk in Amazon EC2

I am using tiobench to test performance of an NFS mounted volume, and
notice that Sequential Reads are much slower than Random Reads. This
isn't the behavior when I run the same test on the disk mounted
locally.

For random reads I'm getting:

    50 MB/s  over NFS

v.s

    384 MB/s  when mounted locally

This is in comparison to the benchmark for _Random Reads_, in which I get:

    288 MB/s both over NFS _and_ when directly mounted

The other benchmarks seem to be in line with what I would expect, but
I'm fairly new to NFS. Why would sequential reads over NFS be sooo
much slower than random reads over NFS?

I am exporting the volume on the server like this

/export *.internal(no_subtree_check,rw,no_root_squash)

and mounting with this:

mount -o hard,intr,async,noatime,nodiratime,noacl $NFS_SERVER:/export /nfs

Additionally I am doing all this in amazon EC2, exporting an EBS
volume with the XFS file system (redundant, I know).

I have tried using jumbo frames and various other mount options, but
none seem to have much effect.

Thanks for any clues.