Re: Problem with nfs server reboot causing exports to jumble

Hey Wilson,

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 03:33:36PM -0500, Wilson Snyder wrote:
> >Use the mp and fsid export options documented in the exports manpage.
>
> Reading between the lines, are you suggesting the mounts
> weren't ready when the exports started

I'm suggesting that it's a good idea to use the mp export option so that
you don't export your root filesystem in the off chance that the
filesystems you want to export aren't mounted yet.

> I presume then that it's enough to just use mp - assuming
> each mountpoint has a unique UUID?

Look into how the fsid that identifies each filesystem to the nfs client
is chosen by the nfs server.  Is it possible that it changed across the
reboot?  I don't know offhand.  If it did change across a reboot, using
the fsid export option to explicitly set the fsid for each export might
prevent this happening again.

> Wouldn't adding fsid now (with the server and clients all up) require
> me to remount every client?

Yep, I think so.  Maybe you want to schedule some downtime.

> Finally, is there a way to examine the present
> (automatically assigned) fsid's so I can confirm this was
> the problem?

Maybe you can try ethereal or something like that.

-Ben