Re: Errors during a simple mount storm test

On Fri, 2010-02-05 at 01:45 +0530, Shehjar Tikoo wrote:
> Hi All
>
> The shell command below is probably not applicable to
> all real world setups but I wanted to check it out nonetheless.
> The problem is with the following command that is supposed
> run a mount-umount loop:
>
> $ while [ true ]; do echo sending; mount localhost:/test -o
> noacl,nolock,tcp,mountproto=tcp /mnt;umount  /mnt; done
>
> For the first hundred iterations, it works fine but then starts
> spewing errors with the mount command failing. For eg.
> the output looks like below:
>
> sending
> sending
> sending
> sending
> sending
> sending
> sending
> sending
> sending
> sending
> sending
> sending
> mount.nfs: mount system call failed
> umount: /mnt: not mounted
> sending
> mount.nfs: mount system call failed
> umount: /mnt: not mounted
> sending
> mount.nfs: mount system call failed
> umount: /mnt: not mounted
> sending
> mount.nfs: mount system call failed
> umount: /mnt: not mounted
>
> Any ideas why the mount sequence stops abruptly?
> There dont seem to be any relevant messages in the
> dmesg output either.
>
> The client and server are on the same machine:
> Linux indus 2.6.31-17-generic Ubuntu SMP x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> I have verified through wireshark that the server is not
> receiving any mount requests once the mount command start
> failing. Instead there are only successful GETPORT requests
> for the MOUNTv3 program.

"netstat -t" will probably show you that all your free ports in the
range 0-1023 are now in the TIME_WAIT state. This again means that you
have to wait a couple of minutes for the TIME_WAITs to expire before you
can try again.

So basically, it is a case of your test being flawed.

Trond