Re: nfs client performance while server is down

On Wed, 2010-01-27 at 13:23 -0500, Chuck Lever wrote:
> On 01/26/2010 06:21 PM, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> > I wonder if nautilus (or some library it uses) likes to regularly
> > "statfs" all the filesystems it knows about?
>
> The NFS client seems to like to send these periodically, but I've never
> looked into why.  It's probably triggered by some cache timeout, and
> gathers recent server file system information.

No. It is entirely application driven. Furthermore, most of the statfs
data is uncached, since it should not be performance critical in any
sane application environment.

IOW: I agree with Bruce that this is most likely GNOME or nautilus
triggering statfs calls. Indeed, when I do actually open a window on
some directory it also appears to display the free space.

Trond