Re: NFS/IPv6 servers on GNU/Linux?

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 18:54:39 +0600
Ivan Shmakov <ivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  JL> We're poised to enable IPv6 in nfs-utils in distros. There is a
>  JL> potential problem however. mount.nfs will prefer IPv6 addrs.
>
>  JL> If someone has a working IPv4 server today that has an IPv6
>  JL> address, then clients may start trying to mount over that
>  JL> address. If the server doesn't support NFS serving over IPv6 (and
>  JL> virtually no linux servers currently do),
>
> 	Huh?  Are there any GNU/Linux-based servers that do?  What are
> 	the prerequisites?
>
> 	(Sorry, I wasn't following the topic recently.)
>
>  JL> then the mount will start failing.
>
> [...]

The client-side nfs-utils pieces are pretty much complete and working.
Aside from a few that are set up for testing, no Linux NFS servers
support IPv6 yet.

exportfs and mountd in mainline nfs-utils don't yet support IPv6. It's
supported in rpc.nfsd, but hardcoded off for now until mountd and
exportfs catch up.

Chuck Lever has a patch stack for mountd and exportfs in his nfs-utils
tree that basically works, but it's still preliminary and not ready to
be committed yet. More testing of that code would be helpful.

--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx>