NFS V3 Problems

Good Day,

I am using a Linux NFS client to mount to a dedicate NFS server
implemented using Wind River VxWorks 6.5.

The VxWorks server has the ability to support NFS using either UDP or
TCP. With configuration files I can disable the NFS-UDP services on my
VxWorks server, as well as disable the NFS-TCP services.

The following were observed:

1. With my VxWorks server configured to only support NFS-UDP services, I
mount (proto=udp) from a Linux client, all works well, very responsive.

2. With my VxWorks server configured to only support NFS-TCP services, I
mount (proto=tcp ) from a Linux client, all works well, very responsive.

3. With my VxWorks server configured to support both NFS-TCP and NFS-UDP
services, I mount (proto=tcp) from a Linux client, all works well.

4. With my VxWorks server configured to support both NFS-TCP and NFS-UDP
services, I mount (proto=udp) from a Linux client, then things become
very slow when performing file system type commands from the client. For
example, performing a command ls /mnt/01, takes approximately 45 seconds
to complete, where in the other cases this command took less than 200ms
to complete. Using wireShark to record the network traffic, I noticed,
that in the latter case (4), the Linux client issue a huge amount of
GETATTR requests, after the READDIR requests. These extra GETATTR seems
to be the problem, as they do not appear in cases 1, 2 and 3 above. Any
idea what I can do to solve this?

P.S.  Unfortunately I have to cater for the case, due to legacy, to
handle clients across UDP and TCP. Transferring a file from the mounted
volume while connected as described in case 4 is fine. The data
throughput is as expected and correlates to that measured in steps 1, 2
and 3. It is only the mount, unmount and file system related RPCs that
is slow.

Becker Vosloo