Fwd: Does the NFS client send SIGSTOP to processes making requests?

Hi folks, Been a while since I asked a weird question, so here we go...

I have a client INSISTING that a process is getting spontaneous
SIGSTOPs from NFS if the mount is "hung" (and, of course, there is no
definition of the "hung" state...).

What is happening is that a server process that is trying to verify an
NFS path gets a SIGSTOP, and then, as it is a single-threaded process,
it stops responding to requests. Including any commands to terminate
short of SIGCONT ot SIGTERM.

We set up SIGSTOP tracing to see if we can find out what is actually
sending the SIGSTOPS, but naturally the issue doesn't happen now that
we're looking for it.

I don't THINK that the NFS client will send SIGSTOPs to processes
making requests through an undefinedly-stuck mount, but due diligence
means I need to ask since my Google-Fu is coming up blank.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Brian Cowan