Proper way to request async from NFS server?

RHEL 5.4 NFSv3 client accessing a Solaris 10 NFS export.

Solaris 10 does not offer a way to specify whether a given share is
async or sync as the Linux NFS server does.  As far as I understand it,
its NFS server will honor whatever the connecting NFS client requests.

I'm mounting a Solaris NFS share with -o async (or using async in the
options field in fstab).  Though this completes without complaint, I
don't see "async" listed in the mount options under /proc/mounts and
when I do a snoop on the Solaris side, all the write requests are FSYNC
instead of ASYNC.

Am I doing something wrong?  What's the correct way to get the Linux
NFS client to request asynchronous operation?

This is with nfs-utils 1.0.9 and of course, the RHEL5 kernel
2.6.18-164.6.1.el5.

Thanks,
Ray