Any idea how best to handle potentially large POSIX ACLs for getfacl?

Hi,

I have a rather crude patch that does the POSIX draft ACL attributes
that my draft is suggesting for NFSv4.2 for the Linux client.
- It is working ok for small ACLs, but...

The hassle is that the on-the-wire ACEs have a "who" field that can
be up to 128bytes (IDMAP_NAMESZ).

I think I have figured out the SETATTR side, which isn't too bad because
it knows how many ACEs. (It does roughly what the NFSv3 NFSACL code
did, which is allocate some pages for the large ones.)

However, the getfacl side doesn't know how bug the ACL will be in
the reply. The NFSACL code allocates pages (7 of them) to handle the
largest possible ACL. Unfortunately, for these NFSv4 attributes, they
could be roughly 140Kbytes (140bytes assuming the largest "who" times
1024 ACEs).
--> Anyone have a better suggestion than just allocating 35pages each time
    (when 99.99% of them will fit in a fraction of a page)?

Thanks for any suggestions, rick