Re: NFS client to pNFS DS

I confirmed that it was Ganesha problem, it was configured to be DS but for some reason it responded to EXCHANGE_ID that it is not a DS so the client switched back to the MDS. Again wondering if Ganesha is used for pNFS by anyone.

Thank you all for the help, Marc.

On 8/11/24 11:52 PM, Mkrtchyan, Tigran wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "marc eshel" <eshel.marc@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Tigran Mkrtchyan" <tigran.mkrtchyan@xxxxxxx>, "Olga Kornievskaia" <aglo@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "schumaker anna" <schumaker.anna@xxxxxxxxx>, "linux-nfs" <linux-nfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Trond Myklebust"
<trondmy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, 11 August, 2024 21:50:36
Subject: Re: NFS client to pNFS DS
On 8/11/24 12:41 PM, Mkrtchyan, Tigran wrote:
On 10. Aug 2024, at 23:20, Olga Kornievskaia <aglo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, Aug 9, 2024 at 12:27 PM marc eshel <eshel.marc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 8/9/24 8:15 AM, Olga Kornievskaia wrote:
On Fri, Aug 9, 2024 at 10:09 AM marc eshel <eshel.marc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thanks for the replies, I am a little rusty with debugging NFS but this what I
see when the NFS client tried to create a session with the DS.

Ganesha was configured for sec=sys and the client mount had the option sec=sys,
I assume flavor 390004 means it was trying to use krb5i.
For 4.1, the client will always try to do state operations with krb5i
even when sec=sys when the client detects that it's configured to do
Kerberos (ie., gssd is running). This context creation is triggered
regardless of whether the rpc client is used for MDS or DS.

My question to you: is the MDS configured with Kerberos but the DS
isn't? And also, does this lead to a failure?
Both MDS DS are configured for sec=sys and it is leading to client
switching from DS to MDS so yes, it is pNFS failure. What I see on the
DS is the client creating a session and than imminently destroying it
before committing it. If the is something else that I can debug I will
be happy to.
pnfs failure is unexpected. I'm pretty confident that a non-kerberos
configured client can do normal pnfs with sec=sys. I can help debug,
Yes, I can confirm that. All RHEL kernels and weekly -rc kernels from Linus
works as expected. We mount always with sec=sys, and despite the fact, that
hosts configured to support kerberos due to AFS and GPFS, the access to DSes is
never an issue and never tries to use kerberos.

Tigran.
Hi Tigran,

It is possible that it is failing back to MDS for another reason and the
error message that I see is not the reason for the failure. Are you
using pNFS with Ganesha and GPFS?

Marc.
Hi Marc,

pNFS is used exclusively with dCache. Can you provide the packet capture
of failing pNFS traffic, like mount + cp + umount?

Best regards,
    Tigran.

if you want to send me a network trace and tracepoint output. Btw what
kernel/distro are you using?

Marc.

Jul 30 11:10:58 svl-marcrh-node-1 kernel: RPC: Couldn't create
auth handle (flavor 390004)

Marc.