Re: knfsd performance

On Thu, Jun 20, 2024 at 07:25:15AM +1000, NeilBrown wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Jun 2024, NeilBrown wrote:

> > > Ouch. __lwq_dequeue() runs llist_reverse_order() under a spinlock.
> > >
> > > llist_reverse_order() is an O(n) algorithm involving full length
> > > linked list traversal. IOWs, it's a worst case cache miss algorithm
> > > running under a spin lock. And then consider what happens when
> > > enqueue processing is faster than dequeue processing.
> >
> > My expectation was that if enqueue processing (incoming packets) was
> > faster than dequeue processing (handling NFS requests) then there was a
> > bottleneck elsewhere, and this one wouldn't be relevant.
> >
> > It might be useful to measure how long the queue gets.
>
> Thinking about this some more ....  if it did turn out that the queue
> gets long, and maybe even if it didn't, we could reimplement lwq as a
> simple linked list with head and tail pointers.
>
> enqueue would be something like:
>
>   new->next = NULL;
>   old_tail = xchg(&q->tail, new);
>   if (old_tail)
>        /* dequeue of old_tail cannot succeed until this assignment completes */
>        old_tail->next = new
>   else
>        q->head = new
>
> dequeue would be
>
>   spinlock()
>   ret = q->head;
>   if (ret) {
>         while (ret->next == NULL && cmp_xchg(&q->tail, ret, NULL) != ret)
>             /* wait for enqueue of q->tail to complete */
>             cpu_relax();
>   }
>   cmp_xchg(&q->head, ret, ret->next);
>   spin_unlock();

That might work, but I suspect that it's still only putting off the
inevitable.

Doing the dequeue purely with atomic operations might be possible,
but it's not immediately obvious to me how to solve both head/tail
race conditions with atomic operations. I can work out an algorithm
that makes enqueue safe against dequeue races (or vice versa), but I
can't also get the logic on the opposite side to also be safe.

I'll let it bounce around my head a bit more...

-Dave.
--
Dave Chinner
david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx