Re: [for-6.11 PATCH 10/29] nfs/nfsd: add "local io" support

On Wed, 12 Jun 2024, Mike Snitzer wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 12, 2024 at 02:09:21PM +1000, NeilBrown wrote:

> > > Well, that reference is to ensure nfsd (and nfsd_open_local_fh) is
> > > available for the duration of a local client connected to it.
> > >
> > > Really wasn't trying to keep nn->nfsd_serv around with this ;)

> > > Getting the nfsd_open_local_fh symbol once when client handshakes with
> > > server is meant to avoid needing to do so for every IO the client
> > > issues to the local server.

> > > Yes, but I really dislike needing to play games with a tangential
> > > characteristic of nfsd_serv (that threads are what hold reference),
> > > rather than have the ability to keep the nfsd_serv around in a cleaner
> > > way.
> > >
> > > This localio code doesn't run in nfsd context so it isn't using nfsd's
> > > threads. Forcing threads to be held in reserve because localio doesn't
> > > want nfsd_serv to go away isn't ideal.
> >
> > I started reading the rest of the patches and it seems that localio is
> > only used for READ, WRTE, COMMIT.  Is that correct?  Is there
> > documentation so that I don't have to ask?
>
> The header for v2's patch 7 (nfs/nfsd: add "localio" support) starts with:
> Add client support for bypassing NFS for localhost reads, writes, and
> commits.
>
> But I should've made it clearer by saying the same in the 0th header.

Or maybe even a something to Documentation/ which describes your new
side-protocol including how the UUIDs are used and what happens when a
match is found..

> > Obviously there are lots of other NFS requests so you wouldn't be able
> > to use localio without nfsd threads running....
>
> That's very true.
>
> > But a normal remote client doesn't pin the nfsd threads or the
> > nfsd_serv.  If the threads go away, the client blocks until the service
> > comes back.  Would that be appropriate semantics for localio??  i.e.  on
> > each nfsd_open_local_fh() call you mutex_trylock and hold that long
> > enough to get the 'struct file *'.  If it fails because there is no
> > serv, you simply fall-back to the same path you use for other requests.
> >
> > Could that work?
>
> I can try it, but feels like it'd elevate nfsd_mutex to "contended",
> as such it feels heavy.
>
> > > Does it maybe make sense to introduce a more narrow svc_get/svc_put
> > > for this auxillary usecase?
> >
> > I don't think so.  nfsd is a self-contained transactional service.  It
> > doesn't promise to persist beyond each transaction.
> > Current transactions return status and/or data.  Adding a new transaction
> > that returns a 'struct file *' fits that model reasonable well.
>
> Sure. But to be clear, I am adding global state to nfs_common that
> tracks nfsd_uuids. Those change every time a new nfsd_net is created
> for a given server (client will then lookup the uuid to see if local).

I missed the full importance of this on my read-through.  It would
certainly make sense for the NFS client to get a counted-reference to
something managed by nfs_common and created/destroyed by nfsd.
It could then easily check if the handle is still valid and repeat the
lookup only if the handle has been marked as invalid.

We still need a way for the filehande-to-struct-file lookup to proceed
without taking nfsd_mutex.  Possibly we could use srcu and put a
synchronise_srcu() call at the top of nfsd_destroy_serv()...

> But even if we went to the extreme where nfsd instances are bouncing
> like crazy, the 'nfsd_uuids' list in nfs_common should work fine.
>
> Just not seeing what is gained by nfsd being so ephemeral.  Maybe your
> point is, it should work in that model too?.. I think it would, just
> less efficiently due to make-work to re-get resources it needs.

Exactly.  localio shouldn't prevent the nfsd server from being stopped
and restarted, but it needn't work efficiently when that is happening.

Thanks,
NeilBrown