Re: Safe to delete rpcrdma.ko loading start-up code

On 20/05/2024 21:05, Chuck Lever III wrote:
Hi-

I've tested this with two kinds of systems:

1. A system with no physical RDMA devices and no start-up
    scripts to load these modules

2. A system with physical RDMA devices and with the start-up
    scripts that load xprtrdma/svcrdma

In both cases, after doing an "rmmod rpcrdma", I can mount
a "proto=rdma" mount or start the NFS server, and the module
gets reloaded automatically.

I therefore believe it is safe to delete the code in the
rdma-core start-up scripts that manually load RPC-related
RDMA support. Either the sunrpc.ko module does this, or NFS
user space handles it. There's no need for the rdma-core
scripting.

I didn't know that rdma-core does this... it really shouldn't, the
mount should (and does) handle it.

I also see that srp(t) and iser(t) are loaded too.. IIRC these are
loaded by their userspace counterparts as well (or at least they
should).