Re: NFSv3 and xprtsec policies

On Thu, 02 May 2024, Chuck Lever III wrote:

> > On May 2, 2024, at 11:54 AM, Scott Mayhew <smayhew@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Red Hat QE identified an "interesting" issue with NFSv3 and TLS, in that an
> > NFSv3 client can mount with "xprtsec=none" a filesystem exported with
> > "xprtsec=tls:mtls" (in the sense that the client gets the filehandle and adds a
> > mount to its mount table - it can't actually access the mount).
> >
> > Here's an example using machines from the recent Bakeathon.
> >
> > Mounting a server with TLS enabled:
> >
> > # mount -o v4.2,sec=sys,xprtsec=tls oracle-102.chuck.lever.oracle.com.nfsv4.dev:/export/tls /mnt
> > # umount /mnt
> >
> > Trying to mount without "xprtsec=tls" shows that the filesystem is not exported with "xprtsec=none":
> >
> > # mount -o v4.2,sec=sys oracle-102.chuck.lever.oracle.com.nfsv4.dev:/export/tls /mnt
> > mount.nfs: Operation not permitted for oracle-102.chuck.lever.oracle.com.nfsv4.dev:/export/tls on /mnt
> >
> > Yet a v3 mount without "xprtsec=tls" works:
> >
> > # mount -o v3,sec=sys oracle-102.chuck.lever.oracle.com.nfsv4.dev:/export/tls /mnt
> > # umount /mnt
> >
> > and a mount with no explicit version and without "xprtsec=tls" falls back to
> > v3 and also "works":
> >
> > # mount -o sec=sys oracle-102.chuck.lever.oracle.com.nfsv4.dev:/export/tls /mnt
> > # grep ora /proc/mounts
> > oracle-102.chuck.lever.oracle.com.nfsv4.dev:/export/tls /mnt nfs
> > +rw,relatime,vers=3,rsize=524288,wsize=524288,namlen=255,hard,proto=tcp,timeo=600,retrans=2,sec=sys,mountaddr=100.64.0.49,mountvers=3,mountport=20048,mountproto=udp,local_lock=none,addr=100.64.0.49 0 0
> >
> > Even though the filesystem is mounted, the client can't do anything with it:
> >
> > # ls /mnt
> > ls: cannot open directory '/mnt': Permission denied
> >
> > When krb5 is used with NFSv3, the server returns a list of pseudoflavors in
> > mountres3_ok (https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc1813#section-5.2.1).
> > The client compares that list with its own list of auth flavors parsed from the
> > mount request and returns -EACCES if no match is found (see
> > nfs_verify_authflavors()).
> >
> > Perhaps we should be doing something similar with xprtsec policies?
>
> The problem might be in how you've set up the exports. With NFSv3,
> the parent export needs the "crossmnt" export option in order for
> NFSv3 to behave like NFSv4 in this regard, although I could have
> missed something.

I was mounting your server though :)

> > Should
> > there be an errata to RFC 9289 and a request from IANA for assigned numbers for
> > pseudo-flavors corresponding to xprtsec policies?
>
> No. Transport-layer security is not an RPC security flavor or
> pseudo-flavor. These two things are not related.
>
> (And in fact, I proposed something like this for NFSv4 SECINFO,
> but it was rejected).

I thought it might be a stretch to try to use mountres3.auth_flavors for
this, but since RFC 9289 does refer to AUTH_TLS as an authentication
flavor and https://www.iana.org/assignments/rpc-authentication-numbers/rpc-authentication-numbers.xhtml
also lists TLS under the Flavor Name column I thought it might make
sense to treat xprtsec policies as if they were pseudo-flavors even
though they're not, if only to give the client a way to determine that
the mount should fail.

> > If not, this behavior should at least be documented in the man pages.
>
> "crossmnt", and it's kin "nohide", are explained in exports(5).

rpc.mountd doesn't do any access checking based on xprtsec policies on
the export (or krb5 pseudo-flavors, for that matter), so I don't see how
"crossmount" or "nohide" would have any effect here.

-Scott