Re: kernel BUG at net/sunrpc/svc.c:570 after updating from v5.15.153 to v5.15.155

> On Apr 25, 2024, at 4:51 PM, Chris Packham <Chris.Packham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> So dec6b8bcac73 ("nfsd: Simplify code around svc_exit_thread()
>>> call in  nfsd()") is from v6.6, so it was applied to v5.15.y
>>> only to get a subsequent NFSD fix to apply.
>>>
>>> The immediately previous upstream commit is missing:
>>>
>>>   390390240145 ("nfsd: don't allow nfsd threads to be signalled.")
>>>
>>> For testing, I've applied this to my nfsd-5.15.y branch here:
>>>
>>>   https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/cel/linux.git
>>>
>>> However even if that fixes the reported crash, this suggests
>>> that after v6.6, nfsd threads are not going to respond to
>>> "killall -9 nfsd".
>> I think this likely is the problem.  The nfsd threads must be being
>> killed by a signal.
>> One only other cause for an nfsd thread to exit is if
>> svc_set_num_threads() is called, and all places that call that hold a
>> ref on the serv structure so the final put won't happen when the thread
>> exits.
>>
>> Before the patch that bisect found, the nfsd thread would exit with
>>
>>  svc_get();
>>  svc_exit_thread();
>>  nfsd_put();
>>
>> This also holds a ref across the svc_exit_thread(), and ensures the
>> final 'put' happens from nfsD_put(), not svc_put() (in
>> svc_exit_thread()).
>>
>> Chris: what was the context when the crash happened?  Could the nfsd
>> threads have been signalled?  That hasn't been the standard way to stop
>> nfsd threads for a long time, so I'm a little surprised that it is
>> happening.
>
> We use a hacked up version of shutdown from util-linux and which does a
> `kill (-1, SIGTERM);` then `kill (-1, SIGKILL);` (I don't think that
> particular behaviour is the hackery). I'm not sure if -1 will pick up
> kernel threads but based on the symptoms it appears to be doing so (or
> maybe something else is in it's SIGTERM handler). I don't think we were
> ever really intending to send the signals to nfsd so whether it actually
> terminates or not I don't think is an issue for us. I can confirm that
> applying 390390240145 resolves the symptom we were seeing.

I'm 2/3 of the way through testing 5.15.156 with 390390240145
applied, so it would be just another day before I can send a
patch to stable@.

May I add Tested-by: Chris Packham <Chris.Packham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> ?

--
Chuck Lever