Re: SELinux-Support in Linux NFSv4.1 impl?

On Sun, 2024-02-18 at 16:16 +0200, Guy Keren wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 18, 2024 at 3:55 PM Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Is there documentation on how to set this up? Will this work if the
> > > root fs ('/') is NFSv4.2?
> > >

> > There isn't much to set up. If you mount using NFSv4.2, the client and
> > server should negotiate using SELinux (assuming both are SELinux
> > enabled) and the SELinux contexts should (mostly) be projected across
> > the wire.
>
> Jeff - as far as i know, while it is possible for the client to
> get/set the secure labels of files on the server - there is no way for
> the client to tell the server which user is performing the specific
> access operation - so the 'FULL MODE' of nfs4.2 security labels cannot
> work - only the 'Limited Server Mode' mode (i.e. only the client
> verifies the security labels - the server does not). please correct me
> if i'm wrong.

(re-cc'ing the mailing list...)

That is correct. I'm not aware of anyone having implented "Full mode" as
of yet anywhere.

The Linux server is a "dumb" labeled NFS server that just projects the
contexts to the clients and doesn't try to do any enforcement.
--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx>