Re: Should we establish a new nfsdctl userland program?

> The existing rpc.nfsd program was designed during a different time, when
> we just didn't require that much control over how it behaved. It's
> klunky to work with.
>
> In a response to Chuck's recent RFC patch to add knob to disable
> READ_PLUS calls, I mentioned that it might be a good time to make a
> clean break from the past and start a new program for controlling nfsd.
>
> Here's what I'm thinking:
>
> Let's build a swiss-army-knife kind of interface like git or virsh:
>
> # nfsdctl stats			<--- fetch the new stats that got merged
> # nfsdctl add_listener		<--- add a new listen socket, by address or hostname
> # nfsdctl set v3 on		<--- enable NFSv3
> # nfsdctl set splice_read off	<--- disable splice reads (per Chuck's recent patch)
> # nfsdctl set threads 128	<--- spin up the threads
>
> We could start with just the bare minimum for now (the stats interface),
> and then expand on it. Once we're at feature parity with rpc.nfsd, we'd
> want to have systemd preferentially use nfsdctl instead of rpc.nfsd to
> start and stop the server. systemd will also need to fall back to using
> rpc.nfsd if nfsdctl or the netlink program isn't present.
>
> Note that I think this program will have to be a compiled binary vs. a
> python script or the like, given that it'll be involved in system
> startup.
>
> It turns out that Lorenzo already has a C program that has a lot of the
> plumbing we'd need:
>
>     https://github.com/LorenzoBianconi/nfsd-netlink

This is something I developed just for testing the new interface but I agree we
could start from it.

Regarding the kernel part I addressed the comments I received upstream on v6 and
pushed the code here [0].
How do you guys prefer to proceed? Is the better to post v7 upstream and continue
the discussion in order to have something usable to develop the user-space part or
do you prefer to have something for the user-space first?
I do not have a strong opinion on it.

Regards,
Lorenzo

[0] https://github.com/LorenzoBianconi/nfsd-next/tree/nfsd-next-netlink-new-cmds-public-v7