RIP NFSv4 interoperability?! Re: NFSv4.1 mandatory locks working in Linux nfsd ?

On Thu, 11 Jan 2024 at 22:28, Roland Mainz <roland.mainz@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 11, 2024 at 4:55 PM Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > Linux doesn't support mandatory locking at all since 2021 [1]. The Linux
> > > NFS client and server therefore do not support v4.1 mandatory locking.
> >
> > Forgot the footnote!
> >
> > [1]: https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-fsdevel/patch/20210820114046.69282-1-jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx/
>
> OK, this is pretty bad in terms of interoperability.... ;-(
>
> What should a Windows NFSv4 client (Hummingbird, OpenText, Exceed,
> ms-nfs41-client, ...) do in this case ?
> It basically means that locking for these clients will fail if the
> server does not support it... ;-(

The NFSv4 server has to provide an emulation, as mandatory locking is
part of the NFSv4 protocol [1].

Although I am more, and more, and even more horrified that the once
beautiful NFSv4 design goal of a protocol for all platforms, as in
Windows, Unix, Linux, RTOS, ..., is rapidly degrading into a devolved
Linux-centric network fs, something 9p already covers, while
SMBFS/CIFS have completely taken over the market for cross-platform
network filesystems.

RIP NFSv4 ?!

[1]: <sarcasm>Of course the next NFS RFC will declare NFSv4 mandatory
locking as "obsolete", as interoperability is already covered by
SMB/CIFS and 9p</sarcasm>

Ced
--
Cedric Blancher <cedric.blancher@xxxxxxxxx>