Re: [RFC] After server stop nfslock service, client still can get lock success

On Nov 19, 2009, at 4:48 AM, Mi Jinlong wrote:

Hi

Chuck Lever:

On Nov 18, 2009, at 4:50 AM, Mi Jinlong wrote:

Hi

Chuck Lever:

On Nov 17, 2009, at 4:47 AM, Mi Jinlong wrote:

When testing NLM, i find a bug.
After server stop nfslock service, client still can get lock success

Test process:

Step1: client open nfs file.
Step2: client using fcntl to get lock.
Step3: client using fcntl to release lock.
Step4: service stop it's nfslock service.
Step5: client using fcntl to get lock again.

At step5, client should get lock fail, but it's success.

Reason:
When server stop nfslock service, client's host struct not be
unmonitor at server. When client get lock again, the client's
host struct will be reuse but don't monitor again.
So that, at step5 client can get lock success.

Effectively, the client is still monitored, since it is still in statd's monitored list. Shutting down statd does not remove it from the monitor list. If the local host reboots, sm-notify will still send the remote
an SM_NOTIFY request, which is correct.

Additionally, new clients attempting to lock files when statd is down
will fail, which is correct if statd is not available.

Conversely, if a monitored remote reboots, there is no way to notify the local lockd of the reboot, since statd normally relays the SM_NOTIFY to
lockd, but isn't running.  That might be a problem.

Yes, it seems a problem.

I don't confirm it, so i want get your opinion.

Currently, there isn't a high degree of coordination between lockd and
statd.  This is to maintain good scalability when serving NFS lock
requests.  You offered a couple of alternatives for improving this
specific situation, but my opinion is that there are larger, more
general coordination issues here, and that what you observed is expected
behavior for the current design.

This still seems to me like a case of "Patient: Doctor, it hurts when I
do that." "Doctor: Well, then, don't do that."  In other words, we
assume that "service nfslock stop" won't be used under normal operating conditions, and we know that NLM will misbehave if you stop statd during
normal operation.

However, shutting down statd during normal operation is not a normal or
supported thing to do.

Question:
1. Should unmonitor the client's host struct at server
  when server stop nfslock service ?

2. Whether let rpc.statd tell kernel it's status(when start and stop)
  by send a SM_NOTIFY ?

There are a number of other coordination issues around statd start-up
and shut down.  The server's grace period, for instance, is not
synchronized with sending reboot notifications. So, we do recognize
this is a general problem.

In this case, however, I would expect indeterminate behavior if statd is shut down during normal operation, and that's exactly what we get. I'm
not sure it's even reasonable to support this use case.  Why would
someone shut down statd and expect reliable NFSv2/v3 locking behavior? In other words, with due respect, what problem would we solve by fixing
this, other than making your test case work?

When server's nfslock service is stop, client can get lock success
sometimes
and can't get success sometimes, it's puzzled.

On Linux, the user space "nfslock" service is actually nothing more than statd. Linux's NLM service is handled in the kernel, and is started and stopped when either a) there are NFS mounts, or b) NFSD is started. The kernel's NLM service has nothing to do with "service nfslock start" any
more.  I think there used to be a user space NLM implementation.

Out of curiosity, what happens if you try this on a Solaris server?

I'm a new man for Solaris.
When Solaris's nlockmgr is stop, client can't get lock immediately.

I should have been more clear: if you stop Solaris' user space NSM
daemon, can you lock files consistently?  My bet is that Solaris will
demonstrate a similar degree of inconsistent behavior if you try
NFSv2/v3 locking while starting and stopping its NSM service daemon.

 ^_^

You are right, when i stop Solaris's NSM, client still can get lock success.
 Maybe it's the same as Linux.

Thanks for trying this.

--
Chuck Lever