Re: rpc.mountd --manage-gids breaks on UID differences

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 04:39:28PM +0100, Sander Smeenk wrote:
> Aparently this has to do with UIDs being different on the nfs-server and
> the nfs-client as i discovered debugging this problem in two VMs. It's
> quite easy to reproduce and also seems to happen if the user on the
> clientmachine is nonexistant on the servermachine.
>
> Disabling '--manage-gids' and remouting, restarting or rebooting
> completely fixes the problem. Reintroducing '--manage-gids' breaks it
> again.

Just from those symptoms it sounds to me like rpc.mountd isn't
responding to upcalls when asked about a uid for which there's no
account on the server.  It should be returning a negative response
immediately.

(I assume your server isn't using ldap or nis or something that could
cause lookups of a uid to take a long time?)

--b.