Re: NFSv4 alternate data streams?

> On Nov 29, 2023, at 10:59 PM, Martin Wege <martin.l.wege@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> does the Linux NFSv4 server has support for alternate data streams?
> Solaris surely has, but we want to replace it. As our Windows
> applications (DB) rely on alternate data streams the question is
> whether the Linux NFSv4 server can fully replace the Solaris NFSv4
> server in that respect.

Hi Martin -

Linux NFSD does not support alternate data streams because none of
the underlying file systems on Linux implement them. Very much like
the HIDDEN and ARCHIVE attributes.

I believe Solaris and their storage appliance are the only
implementations of NFS that do support them, since they have
implemented streams in ZFS.

Instead, Linux NFSD implements extended attributes (that's what
our native file systems and user space support). I realize that
the semantics of those are not the same as stream support.

--
Chuck Lever