Re: How to set the NFSv4 "HIDDEN" attribute on Linux?

On Mon, 20 Nov 2023 at 15:44, Chuck Lever III <chuck.lever@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > On Nov 20, 2023, at 6:46 AM, Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Can we use setfattr and getfattr to set/get the NFSv4.1 HIDDEN and
> >> ARCHIVE? We have Windows NFSv4 clients (and kofemann/Roland's codebase
> >> supports this), and that means we need to be able to set/get and
> >> backup/restore these flags on the NFSv4 server side.
> >>

> > No. They would need to be stored in the inode on the server somehow and
> > there is no place to store them. These attributes are simply not
> > supported by the Linux NFS server.
>
> To be clear: these attributes are not supported within the Linux
> filesystems themselves. NFSD could of course handle these attributes,
> but there is simply no mechanism to make them persistent on Linux
> filesystems.

You have the setfattr/getfattr attributes on Linux, which can easily
store such boolean flags.

It would also solve the backup and restore issue, as GNU tar supports
these via tar --xattrs

> NTFS might be an exception to that, but I believe Linux does not
> allow mounted NTFS filesystems to be modified. So again, no way
> to make those attributes persistent.

New NTFS kernel driver in Linux 6.x supports r/w operation

> But I do wonder how Samba on Linux handles these guys. NFSD should
> do something that doesn't conflict with that.

Did anyone figure that one out?

Ced
--
Cedric Blancher <cedric.blancher@xxxxxxxxx>