Re: BUG in exports(5), no example for refer= Re: Examples for refer= in /etc/exports?

> On Nov 10, 2023, at 2:11 AM, Martin Wege <martin.l.wege@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Nov 10, 2023 at 1:37 AM Chuck Lever III <chuck.lever@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Short answer:
>>> To redirect an NFS mount from local machine /ref/baguette to
>>> /export/home/baguette on host 134.49.22.111 add this to Linux
>>> /etc/exports:
>>>
>>> /ref *(no_root_squash,refer=/export/home@134.49.22.111)
>>>
>>> This is basically an exports(5) manpage bug, which does not provide
>>> ANY examples.
>>
>> That's because setting up a referral this way is deprecated.
>
> Then its time to un-depreciate it.

Not "depreciate". The term is deprecate.

> We're actively using it, for four
> sites with 2000+ active accounts each.

Your admins are using the referral capability in the kernel. The
"refer=" export option is its current administrative interface.
We are replacing that interface, not the referral capability
itself.

>> The preferred way to do it is to use nfsref(8).
>
> which -a nfsref
> File not found.
>
> This is on Debian SID. Same on Suse. Same on Mandriva.

Then the right way forward is to get them to package it.

If they have concerns about it, please forward them to us.

--
Chuck Lever