Re: nfs-utils-1.2.0: insecure option and port range checking.

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 12:56:29 -0500
Robert Gordon <rbg@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I noticed that the insecure option validates that the client port is a
> subset of IPPORT_RESERVED as opposed to just validating it is a valid
> reserved port. The following proposed patch would correct that issue.
> Would anyone care to comment ? ..
>
> # diff utils/mountd/auth.c utils/mountd/auth.c.orig
> 171a172
>  > 		    (ntohs(caller->sin_port) <  IPPORT_RESERVED/2 ||

Ack on the idea, but you should probably send that patch as a unified
diff...

The only thing I can figure is that someone wanted to verify that the
call came from the ephemeral port range. But that's somewhat of a
nebulous concept when you mix in clients from other OS's...

I don't see any reason why we'd care that the calling port is "too"
low.

--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx>