Re: Text based mount options ignoring the preferred rwsize?

Chuck Lever wrote:

Should the kernel be setting rsize (and wsize) to 0 by default?

nfs(5) says:

"If an [rw]size value is not specified, or if the specified [rw]size value is larger than the maximum that either client or server can support, the client and server negotiate the largest [rw]size value that they can both support."

So the text-based behavior is what is documented now.

Does anyone know of a reason to use the server's "preferred" transfer size rather than the largest size supported by both client and server? Usually those are the same.

In this case, the manufacturer of the NFS server recommends using 128Kb for rsize and 512Kb for wsize - although the maximum rsize it supports is 512Kb. I assume in their testing, these values have given optimal performance figures.

The default behaviour with binary mount options when no [rw]size is to select these preferred values - which to me, makes sense - as by not giving a [rw]size, you are leaving it up the server to pick the 'best' values for you - which I guess in most (all other?) cases happen to be the maximum size.

James Pearson