Re: POSIX ACL support for NFSV4 (using sideband protocol)

On Thursday, 3 September 2009 16:09:28 Trond Myklebust wrote:
> The main problem has been finding developers with an interest, and with
> enough time on their hands. Andreas Gruenbacher started working on NFSv4
> acls, but due to his time constraints, his work ended up getting farmed
> out to a developer in SGI, and consequently ended up in a black hole
> somewhere...

Indeed ... I transferred as much knowledge as I could to a group of SGI
engineers who were then working on the project for a while. Unfortunately
then the whole group was laid off (for unrelated reasons). I could not find a
sponsor for continuing from there since.

The open issues in the project include some research (e.g., figuring out how
Windows applications behave in practice when using Linux NFSv4 ACLs -- this
is necessary to make a few implementation decisions which the overall design
has left open), and some more implementation / testing / documentation work.

Thanks,
Andreas