Re: POSIX ACL support for NFSV4 (using sideband protocol)

On Thu, Sep 03, 2009 at 10:35:35AM -0500, Steve French wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 8:55 AM, J. Bruce Fields<bfields@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 03, 2009 at 08:54:06AM -0500, Steve French wrote:
> >> if someone were able to convince the linux-fsdevel community to change
> >> fs/posix_acls.c
> >> (or add an fs/cifs_acls.c) to handle NFSv4/CIFS/NTFS ACL evaluation, and add
> >> support to store these richer ACLs on disk for the future (e.g. for
> >> btrfs), that would be
> >> great - but with no local file system in kernel which can store NFSv4 ACLs and
> >> no code to evaluate these ACLs in the VFS and with a NACK from fsdevel when
> >
> > I don't remember that--do you have a pointer?
>
> Aneesh mentioned one strongly worded objection (I remember more resistance
> from others too)
>
> http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-fsdevel/2006/6/24/313526

Yes, Christoph's always been vehemently opposed.  I share his distaste
for NFSv4/NT ACLs, but I agree with Trond that a solid implementation
with a demonstrated need from CIFS, NFSv4, NTFS, etc., would be likely
to overcome such objections.

--b.