RE: POSIX ACL support for NFSV4 (using sideband protocol)

I've always thought of NFS as a means for making physical file systems
available across a network.  NFS having its own ACLs doesn't fit this
model.  E.g., "NFS ACLs" will never be integrated into NTFS.  However, I
could imagine NFS ACLs solving the general problem if they were to form
a superset of the ACLs of exportable physical file systems, and the
mechanism for interpreting ACLs for a particular physical file system
could be encoded (or modularized) in such a way that NFS' evaluation of
ACL operations has the same results as the physical file system's
execution of the same ACL operations.  You could have a POSIX ACL
module, NTFS ACL module, etc.  There's a challenge for 4.2.

ACLs could possibly be made completely opaque to NFS with a module-based
approach.

  -Dan