Re: NFSD: Fix a bug in the NFSv4 'supported attrs' mandatory attribute

On Mon, 2009-08-31 at 18:03 -0400, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 03:16:11PM -0400, Trond Myklebust wrote:
> > From: Trond Myklebust <Trond.Myklebust@xxxxxxxxxx>
> >
> > The fact that the filesystem is present does _not_ imply that the
> > fs_locations attribute should be marked as "unsupported".
>
> Yes, but the fact that the filesystem is present also does not imply
> that exp->ex_fslocs.locations is NULL.  So I'm confused by your
> characterization of the existing code.
>
> If you want to do this, you probably also want to turn off the previous
> exfslocs.locations check in the same function.  Otherwise we claim
> support for the attribute but then never actually return it.

...why is that a problem? Clients that conform to RFC3530 are perfectly
capable of dealing with that case. The point is that if you say "I don't
support this attribute", then the client will _never_ be allowed to
check it.

IOW: if you later decide to add replica information to the /etc/exports
file, then none of the existing clients will be able to check that
information.

Furthermore, you are basically promising the clients that you will never
return NFS4ERR_MOVED on that volume, since you're telling them that you
don't support fs_locations on it.
So you can't ever migrate it...

--
Trond Myklebust