Re: NFS v3 cached directory content out of sync

Hi,

It's me again. I'm catching up on 'man 5 nfs' and reading all the input I found
wrt the NFS directory cache issue so far. So this is hopefully a condensed
set of findings and questions ;)

1) As I understand, the Linux version we're using (2.6.24-24-generic) does not
   contain the patch 37d9d76d8b3a2ac5817e1fa3263cfe0fdb439e51 - which
   only made it to the kernel 2.6.30, right?

2) I'm still not sure I understand that patch correctly though
   (37d9d76d8b3a2ac5817e1fa3263cfe0fdb439e5): Would the tivoli restore
   be able to mess with mtimes and *therefore* cause the 4-5 hour cache
   inconsistency I'm seeing? If yes, would the patch then magically fix this?

3) The other part of my issue which I still don't understand is, why a backup
   (not restore) could cause completely unrelated files (which we update every
   5 minutes using some simple raw shell scripts) to remain out-of-sync
   with other NFS clients - that is, client A changes the content every 5 min
   but client B and C see it only after 1-2 hours. Seems somewhat new and
   unrelated to the restore case of above - as restore does change directory
   content (and that's where the problem lies) but backup merely changes
   the file's mtime probably (but not even sure it does that - maybe leaves it
   unchanged)

4) If I see this correctly, the acdirmin/acdirmax parameters could not prevent
  a situation 2) of above?

5) Would rdirplus be of any help here at all?

6) Regarding the echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches issue:

  > Only if you are certain that there are no processes actually using that
  > directory or any of its subdirs/files.

  What happens if there are processes still having files open in subdirs?
  Would probably create .nfs files - but would it otherwise work - or corrupt
  read/written data?

Cheers and thanks a lot for the help!
Stefan