Re: nfs4 write delegation status

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 10:12:05AM +0200, Eric Veith wrote:
> Hello,
>
> > I really don't want to enable write delegations until we figure out how
> > to enforce them correctly against local (non-nfs) users of the exported
> > filesystem as well.  In addition to breaking delegations on read opens,
> > that means breaking delegations or doing a cb_getattr on operations like
> > stat.
>
> do you know whether there are local FS where the maintainers at least plan
> to incorporate delegations?

Local filesystems don't need support from the filesystem itself; the
only modifications necessary should be to the vfs.

We have patches that do that for read delegations:

	http://git.linux-nfs.org/?p=bfields/linux-topics.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/leases

but they still have a few problems.  I hope to get them out for review
soon.

Write delegations are more difficult.  Distributed filesystems will also
be harder.

--b.