Re: libtirpc and nis

On Wednesday 03 June 2009 11:14:44 Steve Dickson wrote:
> Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > the libtirpc package is self described as a "standalone package".  i
> > wonder how far that actually goes.  wrt NIS, it requires the system C
> > library to provide NIS functionality or you get a build failure in a few
> > files.  would be nice if libtirpc were usable without any NIS baggage at
> > all.
>
> NIS used RPC procedures to communicate. As it stands today
> NIS is currently using the RPC procedures glibc. In the
> future there is a very good chance that NIS will start
> using the RPC procedures in libtirpc especially if
> IPV6 support is needed...
>
> So I'm a bit confused on what you mean by "NIS baggage"
> in the libtirpc package.

you cannot build libtirpc on a system that doesnt provide NIS functionality.
realistic RPC usage today is NFS related services only (i.e. a NFS client
mounting a share on a NFS server).  i might be missing something (since i'm no
RPC/NIS expert), but if this scenario doesnt require NIS in any way, then
having libtirpc require/use it is bloat that should have an option to disable.
-mike