Re: Exposing cache statistics

On Fri, 2009-04-17 at 07:05 -0400, Steve Dickson wrote:

> Kevin Constantine wrote:
> > Trond Myklebust wrote:

> >> See the nfs-iostat tool in the nfs-utils package:
> >>

> >> http://git.linux-nfs.org/?p=steved/nfs-utils.git;a=tree;f=tools/nfs-iostat;h=929e303cc762a68dfd01546f5150eb294274164e;hb=refs/heads/master
> >>

> >> Note that you need a 2.6.17 kernel or newer.
> >>
> >> Cheers
> >>   Trond
> >
> > Thanks Trond-
> >
> > It seems like nfs-iostat is displaying the number of pages that are
> > being written to the read/write caches (i'm only looking at the
> > client-side at the moment), and what I'm interested in is the ratio of
> > pages being read from cache vs data being fetched from the server.
> >
> > Is there any documentation on the layout of /proc/self/mountstats?
> No, unfortunately not...

I'd suggest using the python code in nfs-iostat as a reference.

You should be able to figure out how much data is being read on the wire
by looking at nfs_stats['serverreadbytes']. Comparing that to the value
in nfs_stats['normalreadbytes'] (which tells you the total number of
bytes requested in read() calls) should give you a rough estimate for
how much data is being read from cache.

Cheers
  Trond