Write on close behaviour versus slow media and slow network

Hello!

I have a usual process of downloading pictures from a flash card (@ 15
MB/s or so) and writing them over 100 Mbps Ethernet (@ 12 MB/s or so).
One would expect and hope that both the reading and writing could happen
simultaneously to optimize throughput, but the current behaviour on both
NFSv3 and NFSv4 is as follows:

multiple files loop (copying with "cp"):
	open source, dest
	data copy loop:
		read(source)
		write(dest)
	close(source)
	close(dest)

The inner loop happens at about the rate of the flash card reader all the
way up to my picture size (12-25 MB).  Then, on close(), rpciod / the NFS
client flushes all data over the network, at the rate which the network
can sustain.

Overall throughput is therefore about 1/(1/12+1/15) == 6.67 MB/s, which
is not very exciting.

I find that replacing "cp" with "dd ... bs=131072 oflag=dsync" lets me
copy at near network speed, at the expense of slowing down copying to a
local hard drive should I chose to do that instead, and seems to be more
of a workaround than a solution (and it's very sensitive to block size
and still slower than network speed).

Is there any way to convince NFS (or buffer flushing) to start sooner in
this case -- preferrably when there are at least wsize bytes available to
write?  Is there any downside to doing this?

Other than some special-case handling with deleting a temporary file
before closing it (does that even work?), I don't see how the current
behaviour helps performance in _any_ case, even when copying from fast
media.

I looked around the NFS man pages, /proc and /sys and didn't see anything
that might be helpful, but I am interested to find out how things came to
arrive at this implementation.

Cheers!

Simon-