NFS and LVM2 issues

Hi All,

I am running into two issues with nfs-kernel-server in Ubuntu Hardy 8.0.4 x64. I am running Ubuntu on a quad-core 3.0 GHz server with 8 GB RAM and 12 x SATA 500GB drives.

1) I create a 100 GB LVM2 volume and format it with XFS. I create a directory and export it as an NFS share assigned to a VMware ESX 3.5 server. I connect successfully from VMware ESX to the NFS share and create an NFS datastore. VMware reports the LVM2 volume capacity as the capacity of the NFS datastore (100 GB). I then resize the LVM2 volume to 200 GB. However, in VMware, it still reports the NFS datastore as 100 GB. If I delete the NFS datastore in VMware, and then reestablish it, it still reports the NFS datastore as 100 GB. I have even tried rebooting my Ubuntu server but VMware still reports it as 100 GB. Any ideas?

2) If I continue the above example, I next try to delete my 100 GB LVM2 volume. I first delete the NFS directory and remove the NFS export. However, I can never delete the LVM2 volume afterwards. It seems like NFS maintains a lock of some sort on the volume. The only workaround is to reboot the Ubuntu Server altogether, and then I can delete the LVM2 volume.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Sincerely,
-Thomas