Re: Unexplained NFS mount hangs

Op maandag 13-04-2009 om 12:12 uur [tijdzone -0400], schreef Chuck
Lever:
> On Apr 13, 2009, at 11:24 AM, Daniel Stickney wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am investigating some NFS mount hangs that we have started to see
> > over the past month on some of our servers. The behavior is that the
> > client mount hangs and needs to be manually unmounted (forcefully
> > with 'umount -f') and remounted to make it work. There are about 85
> > clients mounting a partition over NFS. About 50 of the clients are
> > running Fedora Core 3 with kernel 2.6.11-1.27_FC3smp. Not one of
> > these 50 has ever had this mount hang. The other 35 are CentOS 5.2
> > with kernel 2.6.27 which was compiled from source. The mount hangs
> > are inconsistent and so far I don't know how to trigger them on
> > demand. The timing of the hangs as noted by the timestamp in /var/
> > log/messages varies. Not all of the 35 CentOS clients have their
> > mounts hang at the same time, and the NFS server continues operating
> > apparently normally for all other clients. Normally maybe 5 clients
> > have a mount hang per week, on different days, mostly different
> > times. Now and then we might see a cluster of a few clien
> > ts have their mounts hang at the same exact time, but this is not
> > consistent. In /var/log/messages we see
> >
> > Apr 12 02:04:12 worker120 kernel: nfs: server broker101 not
> > responding, still trying
>
> Are these NFS/UDP or NFS/TCP mounts?
>
> If you use a different kernel (say, 2.6.26) on the CentOS systems, do
> the hangs go away?

Hi Chuck,

In my case NFS/TCP.

I have tried most 2.6.2x kernels, it may take a week or longer for them
to hang, but hang they do :(

have been fighting with this one since at least 2.6.24, and probably
2.6.22

The reader that was hanging last week, is running 2.6.26

Rudy