Re: [patch 05/29] knfsd: Infrastructure for providing stats to userspace

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 11:28 AM, J. Bruce Fields <bfields@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 01, 2009 at 07:28:05AM +1100, Greg Banks wrote:

>> The special "nm" keyword starts a new entry and shows it's internal
>> name, e.g. "nm 192.168.67.45" in the per-client statistics file will
>> begin the entry for the client whose IP address is 192.168.67.45.
>
> OK, so the rules for a userland script are that they should ignore any
> line which starts with a two-character code that they don't recognize,
> allowing us to add more of those later if necessary?

Yes, just like the existing /proc/net/rpc/nfsd (except that in both
cases it's really the first whitespace-separated word and that only
happens to be 2 chars long in most cases).

I expect to be documenting the format properly sometime later.  Also,
SGI has some software that reads the two new files and provides
metrics for the PCP (Performance Co-Pilot) monitoring package; I have
permission to release that as open source and expect to do so in the
next few days..

> I've also occasionally wanted something to expose per-client
> troubleshooting information of various sorts.  (For example: are
> callbacks to a given v4.0 client currently working, and if not, why
> not?)  So it'd be interesting if it could also be extended to do that
> sort of thing.

Sure.  This would be the ideal infrastructure for adding such counters.

--
Greg.