[NFS] problem with rpc.statd

Hello all,

I hope this is an appropriate place to post this, as I am running out of
ideas.

I have a machine that I am attempting to boot over the network. I have
compiled a kernel for it, Debian Lenny Linux version 2.6.26, with nfs
file system and root file system support. For a complete rundown on how
I have created the setup, please see:

http://www.shadlen.org/~maria/pmwiki/Work/Gpxe

Things work well up until it is time to mount the file system from
fstab (ie, it mounts everything ro, makes it all the way through init
and gives me a command prompt). The rw mount is not happening because
rpc.statd never starts. If I try to start rpc.statd by hand, it
complains that: Opening /var/run/rpc.statd.pid failed: Read-only file
system. Since I am mounting the root directory over nfs, it makes sense
for this file to be read-only until rpc.statd starts and  Is there any
way I can start statd without a pid file until I get the root file
system mounted rw? Or something else to try?

I had a similar setup working with an earlier version of nfs-common, but
it broke when I upgraded recently. Currently using nfs-common
1:1.1.2-6lenny1

thank you for any direction anyone can point me, as I am about at my
wit's end...

cheers,
maria