Re: Memory corruption in nfs3_xdr_setaclargs()

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009, Trond Myklebust wrote:

Going over that particular procedure reveals a number of bugs that all
should be fixed.

So true ;-)

Trying to estimate how many bytes are free in the header is _WRONG_.
That memory is allocated with certain assumptions, which are set in the
definition of ACL3_setaclargs_sz. In this case, the assumptions appear
to be that we will fit a maximum of 5 ACEs in the header.
IOW: the real fix for your corruption problem is simply to set
len_in_head to 2*(2+5*3). Currently, the patch supplied by Sachin will
always set it to zero.

Does setting len_in_head to 2*(2+5*3) take into account the
header space already consumed?  The initial patch was just a
quick-n-dirty way of making sure we didn't overwrite the initial
buffer, and a mechanism for generating some discussion around the
other deficiencies in this procedure.  I'll take the blame for
it being a quick hack to simply take the heat off for a critical
customer situation :)

Secondly, doing page allocation in the XDR routine is _WRONG_. For one
thing, look at the major memory leak which happens if the client needs
to resend the request (which can happen every now and again due to a
dropped tcp connection, or all the time due to UDP retransmits).
Those pages should have been allocated in nfs3_proc_getacl(), and indeed
that is where the wretched things are freed.

That's an issue I hadn't noticed, but this isn't really my area of
expertice.  Thanks for taking a closer look at this area of code.

-Kevin