Re: nfs-utils: support/nfs/rpcmisc.c

On Jan 28, 2009, at 11:37 AM, Jeff Layton wrote:
On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 15:20:02 -0500
Chuck Lever <chuck.lever@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm considering creating a version of rpc_init() under utils/statd
that strips out all of the unnecessary features, uses note() instead
of xlot(), and then adds support for AF_INET6.

Is there some reason to not just convert statd to use xlog()? It
seems like that would be a better long term solution.

I'm not sure what the advantage of note() vs. xlog() is.

Be it also noted that sm-notify uses yet another logging mechanism, and I've already coded up patches to move it over to using note(). This is because I'm adding some IPv6-enabled RPC handlers that are shared with statd...

And, the RPC libraries also write directly to stderr. All of those error messages are lost in the daemon case, but when using -Fd they are useful, and appear on the controlling terminal.

For a proof-of-concept sort of thing, that might be reasonable though.

It could be an additional clean-up once I'm done with the IPv6 support. But I need to look at both implementations to see if one is more appropriate for all of nfs-utils.

--
Chuck Lever
chuck[dot]lever[at]oracle[dot]com