NSFproblem lockd: server not responding, still trying

hi guys

am having some issues with nfs the home directories of all the computers in my school is mounted on the fileserver via nfs mount . for quite some times now users have been experiencing issues with their desktop freezing. i checked the syslogs and i found this http://pastebin.com/m69dde24e a little googling showed there was a kernel 2.6 bug which happens when you have had with fast server cards and slow client cards when a
                  2.6.x kernel is used on the server.
  the fileserver is on a gigabit card
   while the client are all on 10/100  so i guess am affected
i tried apply the fix in this wiki http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/NFS#NFS_Server_not_responding but am not sure if i got it right .. or if it applies to the case where one mounts the home directory from the fileserver but the system
 boots up local (not through the network)
someone i met at #linux-nfs suggested i use NFS over TCP on the client i did but it didnt fix the issue am running ubuntu hardy heron on an HP server . any help would be appreciated.this problem has made life very frustrating for staffs of my school because we use only linux it would be a great relive if you guys can help us resolve it. thanks in advance