Re: [NFS] Help! NFS broken

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 3:38 PM, J. Bruce Fields <bfields@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So the "server" in the first paragraph is an NFS client, and its NFS
> server is the FreeBSD machine?

Yes

> And what are the first symptoms?  Any threads accessing the NFS
> filesystem just hang?  A sysrq-T trace on the client showing where
> they're hanging might be helpful.

Honestly, these are production, and I looked in every place I could
think for any hints, and I get nothing. I can't really be using this
to test either. What is odd is identically configured machines (down
to the same files in /etc, same packages from dpkg -l etc) have no
issue.

For a last result, I tried different kernel versions (from Ubuntu):

linux-image-2.6.27-10-server - broken
linux-image-2.6.27-7-server - broken
linux-image-2.6.28-2-server - i think i used this too quick and it was
broken (I might be wrong and wound up deciding to go back instead of
forward)
linux-image-2.6.24-16-server - working for 2 days now, so sticking with it

Note that all the other nodes (5 of the 6 identical nodes are fine,
this was the one bad one) are running the default kernel in Intrepid
at the moment: linux-image-2.6.27-10-server and don't seem to be
suffering from any issues.

So it seems to be a combination of those kernels + that machine.
Problem is, that machine's configuration is identical - same
nfs-utils, portmap, etc, etc. and from my rsync scan, even the
majority of files (and anything that should be relevant) in /etc are
identical too.

This might be an Ubuntu bug or something flaky with 2.6.27 (maybe
2.6.28 too) and NFS in general but I don't know how I can produce any
worthwhile debugging, especially considering this is in production.
When I wrote this I saw no fix in place; the kernel downgrade appears
to be the workaround for now.

Sorry I can't be more help. At the point of this email I had the
luxury of a broken setup to debug, but now that I've stabilized it I
have to keep it this way :)