No write access with recent versions of nfs-utils in Debian

This appears to be a Debian-specific issue, so I'm just looking for a pointer from someone who may know about it.

I installed Debian sid on a new machine back in July, including the current nfs-common and nfs-kernel-server. NFS mounts were successful, but did not allow write -- I lost some serious data on one occasion before I noticed the problem. mount and nfs-utils were upgraded several times since, and never gave the requested write access. I've been assuming the problem was firewall-related and lived with it.

On the other machines in the group, NFS writes worked fine. I banged my head against the wall for a while today, after finally finding time to look into the problem, and discovered a completely different version of nfs-utils was running on the new machine. After a painful downgrade things work fine again. Here's the verbose output of the version that didn't work, nfs-common 1:1.1.3-2:

mount -vvv /mnt/cortona1
mount: fstab path: "/etc/fstab"
mount: lock path:  "/etc/mtab~"
mount: temp path:  "/etc/mtab.tmp"
mount: spec:  "cortona:/tv1"
mount: node:  "/mnt/cortona1"
mount: types: "nfs"
mount: opts:  "noauto,user,exec,rw,rsize=16k,wsize=16k,hard,intr"
mount: external mount: argv[0] = "/sbin/mount.nfs"
mount: external mount: argv[1] = "cortona:/tv1"
mount: external mount: argv[2] = "/mnt/cortona1"
mount: external mount: argv[3] = "-v"
mount: external mount: argv[4] = "-o"
mount: external mount: argv[5] = "rw,nosuid,nodev,noauto,user,rsize=16k,wsize=16k,hard,intr"
mount.nfs: trying xxx.xxx.xxx.178 prog 100003 vers 3 prot TCP port 2049
mount.nfs: trying xxx.xxx.xxx.178 prog 100005 vers 3 prot UDP port 32774
cortona:/tv1 on /mnt/cortona1 type nfs (noauto,user,exec,rw,rsize=16k,wsize=16k,hard,intr)
tna@roma$ cd /mnt/cortona1
tna@roma:/mnt/cortona1$ touch one
touch: cannot touch `one': Permission denied

Downgrading to 1:1.1.0-5 restored proper write access. Is this a familiar-looking problem to someone?

Dave