Re: nfs-utils, umount -l, and unmount requests

On Nov 21, 2008, at Nov 21, 2008, 11:58 AM, David Mathog wrote:
Removing the first "!lazy &&" resolved my immediate problem.

Can you explain further what your "immediate problem" was?

It was the typical hall of mirrors:

1. upgrade NFS clients Mandriva 2007.1 -> Mandriva 2008.1
2. change in log files on server when client reboots - no "unmount
request" messages logged.  Otherwise client shutdown seemed normal.

I'm trying to understand why that is a problem. The only issue here is that "showmount" against the server will display clients that may be no longer mounting its exports. Otherwise, operationally there is really no difference.

MNT_UMNT is advisory. It is not required, and proper server operation does not depend on it.

3. tracked that to the /etc/rc.d/init.d/netfs script, which came down to a "umount -f -l", where the behavior of -l had changed between releases.
4. tracked the -l behavior through a change in umount (actually two)
such that in the current version the umount.nfs function is entirely
dependent on the external program, whereas in the former version it
would do it itself if that external program was not found.
5. tracked the -l behavior to the !lazy line in nfsumount.c which was
mentioned in the first post in this thread.
6. removing the "!lazy &&" restored the previous logging behavior by
the client on shutdown.

To clarify that, "-l" is used in cases where there are still
outstanding NFS RPCs in the kernel for that mount point, but they
can't complete because the server isn't available.  Thus the mount
point appears busy, and won't umount.  "umount -l" is used here to
prevent the system shutdown from hanging.

When there may be outstanding NFS requests, the client really
shouldn't send the MNT_UMNT. In general, though, MNT_UMNT is entirely
advisory, and the client shouldn't wait for it to complete.

That's what I'm getting at.  But rather than trying to send it, and
doing so in such a way that it won't lock up if the server is down, it
sends nothing.  This changes the behavior of a normal shutdown as seen
from the server side.

The client shouldn't send MNT_UMNT if it thinks the local file system wasn't actually unmounted. With "umount -l" the kernel doesn't finish unmounting until all outstanding requests are complete. Since that's all in the background with "-l", the umount command exits long before that, so it can't know whether to send MNT_UMNT or not.

In the normal case (ie "-l" was not specified) the kernel unmounts the NFS file system, then the system call returns and reports success or failure. The umount command can then assess whether to send the MNT_UMNT call.

One of the changes I made in my IPv6 patches is to shorten the timeout
on that clnt_call().  We could even go so far as to make MNT_UMNT
entirely asynchronous and not wait for the reply.

That sounds good to me.  If the client makes a "reasonable effort" to
send the "unmount request" to the server, so that under normal working
conditions the server will be notified, that should be sufficient.

Except when the umount.nfs command can't tell if the kernel has actually unmounted the file system or not.

One thing that bothers me though are these two situations:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/mountpoint/datafile count=1000000 bs=512
umount -f -l /mountpoint

and

dd if=/dev/zero of=/mountpoint/datafile count=1000000 bs=512 &
umount -f -l /mountpoint

What happens to the data being written to datafile, does it make it to
the server, assuming the server is up and working normally? The client
mounted /mountpoint with bg,hard,intr,rw.

I'm not exactly sure how this would work, especially with the presence of "-f". The exact behavior of these flags has changed over time.

But the client should wait for all outstanding I/O to complete and for applications to close all files before the file system is actually unmounted. "Hard" will cause the client to retry these requests forever. It may even be the case that the kernel removes that file system from the system's file namespace to prevent other applications from opening files there.

This is why "umount -l" is probably reasonable during shutdown, but perhaps not for normal operation. During shutdown, any applications left running will be killed by the shutdown script anyway. My opinion though is that the shutdown script should try a normal umount first, then if it retries, use "umount -l" as a last resort so the rest of shutdown processing can continue in an orderly fashion.

--
Chuck Lever
chuck[dot]lever[at]oracle[dot]com