Re: [NFS] export dir thru 2 diff path names

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 03:20:42PM -0500, Chuck Lever wrote:
> On Nov 10, 2008, at Nov 10, 2008, 2:28 PM, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 11:28:04AM -0800, Murata, Dennis wrote:
>>> That really is the 64K question.  During my initial testing, I
>>> exported
>>> the parent directory.  Now I am explicitly exporting the installation
>>> directories, where I see the exportfs message.  In the messages log
>>> file
>>> on the server the mount request from the client is always the actual
>>> directory.
>>
>> I don't see how this would be "unsafe"--if it works, go for it.
>>
>> One potential trap: it's using the same client list and export options
>> for both, so if you think you can make one of them read-only and one
>> of
>> them writeable, for example, you'll be disapointed.
>
> I wonder how this behaves on the client side.  If the same client mounts
> both paths, will it recognize that these are the same and use a shared
> page cache for both?

Yeah, who knows.  I suspect it assumes they're different if the mount
paths are different.

But for most people's purposes it probably doesn't matter much.  (For
the purposes people have mentioned so far they don't even need to mount
both paths from the same client at once.)

--b.